Name: Abraham Openy, Dr
MBChB- Gulu University- Faculty of Medicine.
Medical Doctor – Gulu Regional Referral Hospital and University Teaching Hospital
Mobile Tel. +256783448269
Email : email@example.com
Skype: openy.abraham Twitter: @openyabraham
1. PERSONAL DETAILS
Date of Birth: 14th July 1993. Language: Fluent in Oral and Written English
Nationality: Ugandan. Passport No. B1142143
PROFILE:A young Ugandan Medical Doctor; determined, dedicated and self-motivated professional with substantial skills in Representations, Advocacy, Programme Management, Research, Resource Mobilization, Community transformation, Humanitarian work and Leadership at local, national and international levels with Government, Private Sector Organizations and development based NGOs. Possesses good lobbying, negotiation and constructive dialogue skills to foster a common position of the organization as assigned. A team player with good organizational, communication and interpersonal skills. A rotaractor capable of working under pressure and result oriented under minimum supervision; Computer literate using Micro Soft Word, Spreadsheets, Database management, Internet Literacy, Blogger, Ability to make professional presentations using PowerPoint software and able to travel widely while executing tasks
|USA- SAN DIEGO- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA
|Was amongst the few invited experienced scientists across the globe to explore the changes that needs to be made in scholarly communication to keep up with current technology under FORCE11 (Future of Research Communications and e-Scholarship) Scholarly Communication Institute at University of California.|
|UNITED STATES. (CHICAGO) – UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS, RUSH UNIVERSITY AND MALCOM X COLLEGE- Apr.2017||Actively participated in full attendance in the 2nd Social Medicine Consortium conference forming panel discussion with 2 days Pre conference workshop at ACGME Chicago IL, The conference was meant to analogize and take actions on social, political, economic, racial and ethnographic determinants of health with key note speakers like Dr. Camara Jones (Past immediate president of American Public Health Association, CDC- Atlanta, etc), Dr. Linda, Dr. Joia Mukherjee .|
|SWITZERLAND – GENEVA
|Represented medical students worldwide to the 140th WHO Executive Board Meeting at WHO H/Q from 23rd/Jan- 1st/Feb where the new Director General (Dr. Tedros) was elected and presented to the World Health Assembly (WHA), I deliberated on two agenda points, 8.1 “Human resource for health and implementation of the outcome of the United Nations High-Level Commission on Health Employment and Economic Growth” and “Global strategy for Women’, Children and Adolescents’ Health (2016-2030)” among other youth policy briefs|
|MEXICO- PUEBLA CITY
|Represented FUMSA Uganda to the IFMSA 65th IFMSA August meeting/General Assembly of medical students worldwide (1st-7th August) in Puebla, Mexico under the theme: Global Vaccine Action Plan – Inequality in coverage as a social determinant of health. I was facilitated by WHO Uganda|
|TURKEY- ISTANBUL (UN-WHS)
|Served as the Ugandan Youth representative to the United Nations first ever World Humanitarian Summit featuring UN Gen.Sec. Ban Ki Moon amongst other Heads of States and different UN Agencies.|
|UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (MINNESOTA)Apr. 2016||Was part of the great scholars that met in University of Minnesota to draft the social medicine teaching curriculum during Global Health Social Medicine Consortium from 28th-30th April featuring key note speakers like Dr. Paul Farmer, Dr. Joia Mukherjee from Partners In Health.|
|FUMSA (Federation of Uganda Medical Students Association) delegate to IFMSA (International Federation of Medical Students’ Association) African Regional Meeting (ARM) in Kigali and presided over plenary simulation from 18th-23rd Dec.|
|QATAR – DOHA
|Represented IFMSA (Medical Students Worldwide) to United Nations Global Youth Consultations on World Humanitarian Summit in Doha, Qatar, 1st– 2nd September. This led to “2015 Doha Youth Declaration on Reshaping Humanitarian Aid”.|
|MACEDONIA – OHRID
|Served as a member of the plenary team, moderating the plenary discussions during the IFMSA August General Assembly in European country of Macedonia from 2nd-8th.|
|TURKEY – ANTALYA
|Represented Ugandan Medical Students (FUMSA) to IFMSA (International Federation of Medical Students’ Association) March Meeting 2015 General Assembly in Antalya- Turkey attending Professional Exchange and Research Exchange training sessions (SCOPE and SCORE).|
Projects and Research work
|RESEARCH EXPERIENCE||Worked as a Co-PI in MEPI–MESAU mentored research grant entitled “Obstacles to family planning use among females in rural northern Uganda: A study at Atiak H/C IV, Amuru district” .|
|Completed Global Health course from USAID/John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health about US Government Funded Project Comp liance and Statutory Requirements as per 2017.|
|Co- PI in a research entitled Teenage Marriage in Post Conflict Northern Uganda: A Case of Amuru District|
|Submitted an article and was published in Medical Students International (MSI) journal volume 32 entitled “Migration of Healthcare Workers, A Major Contributor to Health Disparities”. Submitted a similar article and was published by Manchester Global Health Society|
|Co-PI in MEPI-MESAU mentored research grant entitled “determinants of first antenatal care visit by pregnant women at COBERS sites in northern Uganda”|
|Carried out a MEPI-MESAU mentored research grant entitled “use of herbal medicines among pregnant women attending antenatal clinic at kiryandongo hospital”|
|Successfully completed a certified course in Data Analysis using SPSS organised and facilitated by MESAU and FUMSA- SCORE after having completed a similar Undergraduate Research Mentorship training a year earlier.|
|Earned an online Certificate in “Protecting Human Research Participants” worth 3 credit units from National Institute of Health(NIH) Office of Extramural Research , Certification No. 1200545|
|PROJECTS MANAGED||International affairs secretary in NUV-HOP (Northern Uganda Village Health Outreach Project) for 2 years – This project is conducted by Gulu university, Belgian and Manchester medical schools in the poor rural communities of post 20+years civil war recovery communities of northern Uganda. The project running cost is about $50,000 per year.
|Currently working on a charity research project entitled “Assessing health needs amongst Nodding Syndrome affected families in Pader district, Northern Uganda” with support from CLAN Australia|
|Supervised PEDON (Prevention and Early Diagnosis of Non communicable Disease) project during my office term as VPE FUMSA , the project running cost is about $35,000 per year funded by Danish organisation DUF and Ashipti|
|Chaired Projects and Research Board for 1 year managing and coordinating all the projects and research grants in GUMSA for the FY 2015/2016|
|Participated in the Rotary Tree Planting REI project and wrote a project grant worth $32,400 per annum to World Bank on behalf of Rotaractors of District 9211which was vetted up to the final round of the selections.|
- Organized first ever certified Global Health Course in Uganda at Makerere College of Health Sciences from Jun 26th to Jul 1st 2017 to all medical professionals and certified by Don Eliseo Lucero-Prisno III.
- Certified trainer in Group Dynamics and Team Building by IFMSA (International Federation of Medical Students’ Association)
- Facilitated a Global Health social medicine course class of January 2016 at Mary’s Hospital Lacor having attended this course that brings medical students from USA, Rwanda, Zimbabwe, Uganda, etc to study/discuss/ advocate for and address social determinants of health featuring key note speakers and high profile reading materials from Jim Kim(director World Bank), Dr. Paul Farmer – head of UN special envoy in response to Haiti earthquake; Founder of partners in health (PIH) and Author of Pathologies of power among other books.
- Served in FUMSA (Federation of Uganda Medical Association) as Vice President in charge of External Affairs (VPE) in 2016 after having served as Research Exchange Coordinator in 2015 for undergraduate medical students nationwide.
- Worked as secretary for international affairs-GUMSA and helped the faculty be registered on iMed and FAIMER for the first time, developed and managed the association’s web page and managed it.
- Served as 2013 secretary finance UNAU (United Nations Association of Uganda)-Gulu chapter and was a delegate to 2015 African Union United Nations Model youth summit.
- Represented Gulu University Christian Medical Students to 2013 and 2014 UCMF (Uganda Christian Medical Fellowship) conferences hosted in Gulu and Bushenyi/Ishaka (Kampala International University) respectively.
- Successfully completed and earned US Department of State Nelson Mandela Washington YALI Web based certificates in Understanding Climate Change and Civic Leadership including Community Organising for Action
- Was trained and certified by Uganda Ministry of Health in World Health Disease Surveillance, Maternal & Child Health, Monitoring & Evaluation of Health Projects, Principles of Ordering – Receiving – Issuing – Dispensing & Assessment of Health Supplies, Public Health Policy & Advocacy, Health Planning & Health Financing, Strategies of managing Infectious diseases, NCDs, Psychosocial Support & counselling
- Got trained by Global Teams Horizons as a Medical Missionary and certified before deployment to Southern Sudanese Refugee Nyumanzi Camp at the Uganda-South Sudan boarder for provision of Humanitarian and Medical missionary work.
- University Hospital of South Manchester (UHSM) short course in Introduction to Clinical Course accredited by the Two Associate deans of UHSM and Gulu University.
- Emerged as the 1st runners up in the National Inter-University Medical Quiz 2016 held at Makerere University College of Health Sciences (MAKCHS).
- Provided Voluntary Primary Health Care as a physician with Bulamu Healthcare International Medical Camp at Awach H/C IV, Gulu District in May/June 2017.
|1.||Gulu Regional Referral Hospital||2017- Date||Medical Doctor|
|2.||Gulu University Faculty of Medicine||2012-2017||MBChB|
|3.||Dr. Obote College Boroboro||2010-2011||“A” Level Certificate|
|4.||Saviour’s Secondary School||2006-2009||“O” Level Certificate|
|5.||Ogur Primary School||1999-2005||PLE|
Hobbies: Reading other non-medical books, Football, Travelling
District of birth: Lira in Ogur Sub County.
Marital Status: Single.
Other language spoken: Fluent in Luo and Average in Kiswahili